At our Washington Seminar, members of the National Federation of the Blind convene to learn about and advocate for legislative initiatives that will improve the lives of blind Americans.
Approximately three legislative initiatives are chosen for priority attention each year. These initiatives, which form the NFB's legislative agenda, are based on the official positions of the NFB adopted at the national convention and can address concerns related to civil rights, educational programs and services, rehabilitation of the blind for competitive employment, the operation of vending facilities by blind persons on public property, specialized library services for the blind, the organization and funding of federal programs, Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income programs, and other timely topics.
The first Washington Seminar took place in 1973. Today, more than five hundred people from the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico typically attend.
Monday, February 10 through Thursday, February 13, 2020
Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol
550 C Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024
The Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol offers four food and beverage options from the Capitol Bistro, which is a full-service restaurant, to the 21st Amendment Bar and lounge.
Legislative Agenda and Fact Sheets
The 2020 Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans addresses:
- Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 2086/S. 815)
- Greater Access and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN) Act (H.R. 3929)
- Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HIGH) Act (H.R. 5312/S. 3095)
The legislative agenda and fact sheets are also available in different file formats:
- 2020 Legislative Agenda and Fact Sheets (BRF)
- 2020 Legislative Agenda (PDF)
- Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 2086/S. 815) (PDF)
- Greater Access and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN) Act (H.R. 3929) (PDF)
- Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HIGH) Act (H.R. 5312/S. 3095) (PDF)
Great Gathering-In—Monday, February 10, 2020
The Great Gathering-In is the very exciting opening session of the Washington Seminar. It will begin Monday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. in the Capitol Ballroom and will adjourn promptly at 7:00 p.m.
Congressional Appointments—Tuesday, February 11 through Thursday, February 13, 2020
Legislative appointments should be made for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in the Senate and House office buildings. A meeting for NFB members to review progress and provide guidance will occur on Wednesday evening.
Washington Seminar Career Fair
The 2020 Washington Seminar Career Fair will take place Monday, February 10. Learn more about the Washington Seminar Career Fair, and register as a job-seeker or employer.
For more information, please contact Kyle Walls at 410-659-9314, extension 2223, or email@example.com.