NFB Camp is a childcare option offered during our national convention for children ages six weeks to twelve-years-old, both blind and sighted.
The program features lessons from the NFB BELL® Academy curriculum, in addition to a variety of activities including art projects, orientation, mobility, and daily living skills training, music, movement, and mathematics.
We separate the children by age and provide activities appropriate for each age group.
Our staff is vetted through background checks, training, and experience working with blind children. We are grateful for support from our national divisions and committees, the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, and our NFB BELL Academies.
2020 Daily Camp Schedule
- Tuesday, July 14: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 15: Closed
- Thursday, July 16: 8:30 a.m. to noon and 12:45 to 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, July 17: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 18: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, July 19: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, July 19 (Banquet): 6:30 p.m. to thirty minutes after banquet adjourns
These times are approximate. The actual times are thirty minutes before sessions begin, and thirty minutes after adjournment, whenever the President determines those times to be; no exceptions.
The deadline to register for NFB Camp is June 20, 2020. After that, it will be on a “Space Available” basis.
NFB Camp fees must be paid through the online registration platform. Registration that does not include payment will not guarantee your child will have a space in camp when you arrive in Houston. If this creates a financial hardship, please contact Carla McQuillan prior to convention. Fees paid and forms filled out in advance will minimize time spent at the registration desk.
NFB Camp Rules
- Please bring child(ren) no earlier than one half hour before the beginning of each convention session.
- Pick up your child(ren) immediately after each session.
- You are responsible for getting your own child(ren)’s meals each day. We will provide light snacks.
- Be sure that one of the people in charge of childcare knows when your child(ren) has/have arrived or is/are leaving.
- Please minimize the time spent dropping off and picking up your child(ren). We find this helps the children acclimate to the new environment.
- Please label your child(ren)’s diaper bag, toys and/or other belongings. We recommend that only needed items be brought to childcare.
- Please speak to your child(ren) about respecting the rules governing childcare and the authority of those in charge.
- NFB Camp will not be taking children to the pool for swimming during childcare hours.
- If your child(ren) is/are in need of medication of any kind, you will be responsible for administering that yourself. Childcare workers will not take responsibility for dispensing medicine to any child.
- Please stop at the front desk when you arrive to check in your child. When picking up, please stop in at the desk so we can verify that you are authorized to pick up your child. We will get to know you after the first day or two, but for security reasons, we ask that you do not walk into the camp rooms without checking in at the desk first.
- A list of teenagers wishing to babysit in the evening will be compiled at the sign-in table at NFB Camp. Any teenagers who want to be placed on the list should come to NFB Camp or contact Carla McQuillan.
- We are asking for the following donations:
- $150 for one child for the entire week and $100 for siblings (this does not include the banquet)
- $35 per day per child (this does not include the banquet)
- $35 per child for the banquet
- We reserve the right to discontinue care for any child who brings weapons to camp and/or is aggressive or violent towards children and staff.
- We/I understand that NFB Camp is being provided as a service to make our convention more enjoyable for both parents and children. We will pick up children immediately following sessions. We understand that if our child(ren) does not follow the rules or if for any reason staff is unable to care for our child(ren), further access to childcare will be denied.
Cancellations made prior to June 20 will result in a full refund of camp fees. After June 20, you will need to contact Carla McQuillan, who will consider extenuating circumstances.
On-site registration will be on a “Space Available” basis, and the fees will be:
- $200 for the week
- $40 per day
- $30 for the banquet
For more information, please contact Carla McQuillan, camp director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-653-9153.