*Please note that times listed are in Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Please convert published times to your appropriate time zone.
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM—COMMITTEE FOR ADVANCEMENT AND PROMOTION OF BRAILLE
- Zoom meeting ID: 977 3572 9642
- The committee will discuss developments in the teaching and delivery of Braille, research priorities, Braille-related policy, strategies for bringing improvements where needed, and resources and activities across our organization. All are welcome!
- Jennifer Dunnam, Chair
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM—DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION COMMITTEE MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 938 3905 3136
- Attend our annual meeting to hear about our activities and to learn how you can become involved with our committee. Let's learn from each other to grow our understanding and to increase our impact around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Shawn Callaway and Rosy Carranza, Co-Chairs
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM—LOUISIANA CENTER FOR THE BLIND: CHANGING LIVES AND EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS
- Zoom meeting ID: 916 0118 5168
- We look forward to gathering virtually with our LCB alumni and those interested in learning about our life-changing programs. Join us as we celebrate and share. Learn how LCB training will help you live the life you want!
- Pam Allen, Executive Director
- Zoom meeting ID: 967 8116 9794
- Accessible vote-by-mail is the fastest growing method of voting in the United States. Come learn about how it works and see how you can ensure equal access to voting safely and securely from home.
11:00 AM - 12:30 PM—COMMITTEE ON AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES AND INNOVATIONS IN TRANSPORTATION
- Zoom meeting ID: 993 0365 2463
- This committee collects information about trends in and emerging models of transportation, both of which may present opportunities for the blind to move around independently, ensuring the NFB plays a prominent role in the future of transportation.
- Sachin Dev Pavithran, Chair
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM—FINANCIAL RESOURCES FOR CHANGING TIMES
- Zoom meeting ID: 964 3336 4891
- In these uncertain times, COVID-19 has changed our lives and impacted many people with disabilities. Participate in this Wells Fargo workshop to discuss financial resilience and managing your finances during a crisis, such as COVID-19.
12:00 - 1:00 PM—NOPBC YOUTH TRACK SESSIONS
(Visit http://nopbc.org/2020-virtual-youth-track for more information.)
- Career Mentoring Fair
1:00 - 2:00 PM—COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION: SUPERPOWER HOUR
- Zoom meeting ID: 977 7004 4250
- The Community Service Division honors everyday heroes without a cape. Let’s tap into our superpowers and change our communities one service at a time. Come be inspired, motivated, and encouraged to live the life you want by helping others live the life they want!
- Jeanetta Price, President
1:00 - 3:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND REHABILITATION PROFESSIONALS
- Zoom meeting ID: 948 9759 8549
- Come join your rehabilitation peers where we will learn about tools we can use for employment and discuss how our new virtual platforms may benefit us in the future. Take home some tools we can use in our home states to protect our rehabilitation programs and much more!
- Amy Porterfield, President
1:00 - 4:00 PM—AMATEUR RADIO DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 946 9554 5746
- Amateur radio can be a fun and rewarding hobby. Come find out how you can get on the air and how you can use the hobby to serve.
- Karen Anderson (ke0cdq), President
1:00 - 4:00 PM—NFB DEAFBLIND DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 947 6107 2471
- Get updates on national issues affecting the deafblind community, technology, and the division’s business matters.
- Alice Eaddy, President
- 1:00 PM—Registration ($5)
1:00 - 4:00 PM—WRITERS DIVISION
- Zoom meeting ID: 912 0737 2603
- Aspiring, wannabe, and accomplished writers and friends come join us to learn our history, accomplishments, and future. We will present the 2020 youth and adult contest winners. We will feature readings from division members. Visit writers.nfb.org.
- Shelley Alongi, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—SPORTS AND RECREATION DIVISION MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 921 0195 5679
- Join us for a high-energy meeting where we will discuss the business of the division and provide information, tools, and motivation to help you live the life you want through health and wellness.
- Jessica Beecham, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—NFB IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
- Zoom meeting ID: 914 6429 3193
- Enhancing nonvisual access to information technology and improving the ability of blind information and computer technology professionals to compete in today's world.
- Brian Buhrow, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—NFB IN COMMUNITIES OF FAITH
- Zoom meeting ID: 923 2625 5031
- Speakers will describe how their faith has helped them face and overcome challenges. Also, hear representatives from various faith-based libraries and publishing houses describe what their organizations do.
- Tom Anderson, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—NFB KRAFTERS DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 974 1079 2743
- Welcome to the twelfth year of the Krafters Division! We will have our business meeting followed by Cindy’s Extravaganza. Come join us in remembering Cindy Zimmer and learning some fun crafts. Want to learn more? Join us at krafterskorner.org.
- Tammy Freitag, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND LAWYERS DIVISION MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 976 7627 5590
- Examine legal issues arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic for the blind; address ongoing struggles to gain equal access to websites, employment, legal texts, and exams; share practice tips and technology tools for blind lawyers.
- Please go to www.blindlawyers.net to register for the meeting.
- Scott LaBarre, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND MERCHANTS
- Zoom meeting ID: 955 2042 1220
- In the middle of crisis comes opportunity. Randolph-Sheppard faces its toughest challenges in this “interim norm” as we try to return to “business as usual,” restoring customer confidence, and the explosion of technology.
- Nicky Gacos, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—NOPBC MEETING: INFORMATION AND INSPIRATION
- Zoom meeting ID: 471 527 4444
- Keynote address by the 2020 Distinguished Educator of Blind Children; mix and mingle with vendors, blind mentors, and other parents; learn about cutting-edge products and programs for our youth; Parent Power and kids’ panels; business meeting; elections; and much more!
- Carlton Cook Walker, President
1:00 - 5:00 PM—PERFORMING ARTS DIVISION
- Zoom meeting ID: 975 9375 3140
- Join us for our annual business meeting followed by a panel of blind performers discussing their careers and providing advice for those planning to seek employment in the arts. Then we will take the stage and learn to dance the cha-cha together!
- Julie McGinnity, President
1:30 - 3:30 PM—HUMAN SERVICES DIVISION ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 915 1084 4861
- We are a diverse group of blind professionals and students who have a passion for working with people. Please join us for our annual meeting.
- Candice Chapman, President
- 1:30 PM—Registration ($5)
- 2:00-3:30 PM—Division Meeting
1:30 - 4:30 PM—NATIONAL ORGANIZATION OF BLIND EDUCATORS
- Zoom meeting ID: 979 2775 5521
- Blind teachers discuss techniques they use in their classrooms. Participants meet in groups specific to grade level and content area to create a network of colleagues and mentors. If you teach or are considering a career in teaching, please join us.
- Cayte Mendez, President
2:00 - 4:00 PM—SENIORS DIVISION BUSINESS MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 965 7154 4008
- Join us virtually this year to hear from retreat participants of their experiences at Rocky Bottom, South Carolina. Learn about a research study using a phone; update from Bookshare; find out what Federationists are doing to aid seniors across the country; election of officers; and much more!
- Ruth Sager, President
2:00 - 5:00 PM—ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY TRAINERS DIVISION
- Zoom meeting ID: 939 5261 5835
- Current and aspiring tech trainers: join us for professional development, networking, and fellowship. We'll explore what it takes to become a great trainer, how to help our students build sustainable digital literacy skills, and strategies for remote training.
- Chancey Fleet, President
2:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND VETERANS MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 926 0740 1681
- All veterans are invited. We will conduct our annual business meeting after a short networking period. We will not be holding elections this year as it is our off-year session.
- Vernon Humphrey, President
- 2:00 PM—Networking
- 3:00 PM—Business Meeting
3:00 - 5:00 PM—NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF GUIDE DOG USERS
- Zoom meeting ID: 954 8027 0458
- Learn how proposed regulations will impact air travel with our guide dogs. Get current updates from our legal counsel about our Uber and Lyft settlements. Elect our leaders!
- Marion Gwizdala, President
3:00 - 5:00 PM—PROFESSIONALS IN BLINDNESS EDUCATION
- Zoom meeting ID: 993 6119 6030
- All professionals serving students from birth through age twenty-one are welcome and encouraged to join our informative and interactive meeting. Come network and collaborate, sharing and learning with colleagues and future educators.
- Eric Guillory, President
3:00 - 5:00 PM—DIABETES ACTION NETWORK
- Zoom meeting ID: 944 4379 5245
- Learn about strategies for living well with diabetes. Hear presentations from medical professionals who will offer practical advice for managing diabetes. Share your experiences with accessible devices.
- Bernadette Jacobs, President
3:00 - 5:00 PM—SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING DIVISION
- Zoom meeting ID: 916 7740 7154
- Learn about "Chemistry on the Web," how a blind biologist studies the sea, the Peridot—a multi-line tactile graphics tablet, and about the project to survey the blindness accessibility of higher-level education.
- John Miller, President
3:30 - 5:00 PM—PUBLIC EMPLOYEES DIVISION
- Zoom meeting ID: 935 6916 8372
- This is our annual meeting of persons employed by federal, state, or municipal governments as well as employees of public utilities. We discuss issues affecting blind public servants.
- Gary Van Dorn, President
5:00 - 6:00 PM—YES, I CAN WITH ACT!
- Zoom meeting ID: 934 4283 1743
- ACT is launching an online ACT test in Fall 2020! This session will cover how to register and request accommodations for the ACT test, including information about accessibility features and accommodations that will make it easier than ever for blind students to access the ACT.
- Katie Featherston, Chair, Accessibility and Accommodations Oversight Board; Mira Monroe, Senior Manager, Accommodations Eligibility; Susan Hirsch, Senior Program Manager, Accessibility, Presenters
5:00 - 6:00 PM—NOPBC YOUTH TRACK SESSIONS
(Visit http://nopbc.org/2020-virtual-youth-track for more information.)
OPENING GENERAL SESSION
- Zoom meeting ID: 933 6983 0741
- 7:00 PM; CALL TO ORDER AND INVOCATION
- 7:05 PM; WELCOMING CEREMONIES: FROM HOUSTON TO EVERYWHERE
- 2020 National Convention Host Committee: Norma Crosby, President, National Federation of the Blind of Texas; Board Member, National Federation of the Blind; Alvin, Texas
- 7:35 PM; CELEBRATION OF FREEDOM: VETERANS RECOGNIZED
- Vernon Humphrey, President, National Association of Blind Veterans, a Division of the National Federation of the Blind; Mauk, Georgia
- 7:55 PM; ROLL CALL OF STATES AND APPOINTMENT OF NOMINATING COMMITTEE
- 9:25 PM; REPORTS AND RESOLUTIONS
- 9:30 PM; ADJOURN
9:45 - 10:45 PM—FRIENDS OF RECOVERY MEETING
- Zoom meeting ID: 921 8733 0043
- All convention attendees interested in getting or remaining clean and sober are welcome to our confidential meeting. For more information, call 304-993-5103.
- Sheri K., Coordinator