National Federation of the Blind Response to COVID-19
The National Federation of the Blind is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation. Guidance to state affiliates, local chapters, and affiliated training programs regarding this situation has been provided and we will continue to coordinate resources across the country. As a nationwide organization, we recognize that consistency and clear communication are critical to managing our operations during this critical time. The health and safety of all of our members, staff, and friends is always our top priority.
Attending a Federation event is a personal decision to be made based on individual health status and, when appropriate, in consultation with medical professionals.* For the latest facts about the virus, access reliable information from sources such as the World Health Organization or the Centers for Disease Control. Users of NFB-NEWSLINE® can also access the latest information in the breaking news section.
The 2020 NFB National Convention is taking place July 14-19 in Houston, Texas, as planned. At this time we do not believe there is a need to alter plans for our annual meeting. We will continue to evaluate the situation and the needs of attendees. We will update the national convention webpage (nfb.org/convention) regarding the status of the event and any related precautions to be taken.
“We will continue to monitor all aspects of this situation as they develop, focusing first and foremost on the health and safety of everyone in our Federation family,” said Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “I wish you, your families, and your colleagues the best as we address these challenges.”
- Blind Americans Encountering Discrimination by Restaurants and Other Services During COVID-19 Crisis, April 3, 2020
- National Federation of the Blind Urges Governors to Issue Accessible Executive Orders Regarding COVID-19, March 23, 2020
- COVID-19 Information Available in Braille and Audio, March 20, 2020
- National Federation of the Blind Demands that Policymakers Protect and Assist Blind Students During COVID-19 Emergency, March 20, 2020
- National Federation of the Blind COVID-19 Policy Relating to Public Events, March 13, 2020
- COVID-19 Resources
- Distance Education Resources
- AccessibleNow Campaign
- "Don’t Be a Barrier: Be Accessible NOW" Blog Post, March 16, 2020
- "Coming Together During COVID-19: Concerns and Connections" Blog Post, March 23, 2020
- NFB Events Calendar
- National Convention
- State Affiliate Convention List
- Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
- Nonvisual Access Conference