NFB-NEWSLINE is a free audio news service for anyone who is blind, low-vision, deafblind, or otherwise print-disabled that offers access to more than 500 publications, emergency weather alerts, job listings, and more.
NFB-NEWSLINE reopened the world of newspapers and magazines to me. Thank you so much for enabling me to read periodicals from all over the nation and world cities. It makes me feel more included and informed.
NFB-NEWSLINE subscribers have access to:
- National newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal and USA Today
- Breaking news sources, including CNN, BBC, and ESPN Online
- International newspapers, including Financial Times and Vancouver Sun
- Magazines, including Family Circle, Time, Consumer Reports, Guideposts, and Smithsonian
- State newspapers
- Emergency weather alerts and seven-day forecasts localized to your zip code or GPS location
- The information that scrolls along the bottom of your television screen during emergency alerts
- More than 100,000 job listings from two national job sources
- TV listings localized to your zip code and provider
- Retail ads
- NFB's national channel, including the ebook Building the Lives We Want, the Braille Monitor, Future Reflections, and presidential releases
How to Sign Up for NFB-NEWSLINE
Anyone who cannot read printed publications due to vision loss, dyslexia, or a physical disability is eligible to receive NFB-NEWSLINE. Please register by calling your state's Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped or the National Federation of the Blind at 866-504-7300 to request an application. You may also download and mail an application or complete our online application. After your registration is processed, you will receive a message containing your activation codes and instructions.
Access Breaking News for COVID-19 Updates
In response to the current situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19), the National Federation of the Blind has decided to provide up-to-date information to all eligible subscribers of the service.
COVID-19 updates are available in the "Breaking News" category of NFB-NEWSLINE. This information is being obtained by the system searching the thirty-four publications in the Breaking News category for "coronavirus" and displaying the results. This information will also be available for those few states that are currently not sponsored for the next sixty days starting Monday, March 16.
Access the coronavirus COVID-19 information using the telephone by pressing 5 from the main menu, then press 1 for the Breaking News category, followed by pressing the 1 key which will bring you to the virus information. If you are using the NFB-NEWSLINE mobile IOS app, look for the virus information under the "All Publications" section. The content can be accessed with Braille devices such as notetakers and refreshable Braille displays.
Ways to Access NFB-NEWSLINE
After you sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE, you will be able to access it in any of the following ways. If you are a current subscriber, you do not need to create a new account or obtain new codes to use additional methods. Your current codes will allow you to access NFB-NEWSLINE using any method you choose. If you’ve forgotten your codes, please call us for assistance.
NEW! iOS Mobile App 3.0 Beta with KNFB Reader Basic
- The beta version is a pre-released, advanced development of the app. Your participation and feedback expand the amount of testing done, which will help us develop a better product.
- A new streamlined layout for faster navigation along with the option to share publications under the "breaking news" category to social media.
- KNFB Reader Basic included in NFB-NEWSLINE 3.0 Beta gives you access to KNFB Reader’s core features.
- KNFB Reader is an award-winning mobile app that converts text to speech simply by using your device’s camera. Get early access to print on-the-go.
- Note: Installing this beta app will overwrite your existing NFB-NEWSLINE mobile app.
- Enjoy NFB-NEWSLINE and KNFB Reader Basic together!
I can use this faster than going to go get my husband to read me something. – Beta Tester
How to access NFB-NEWSLINE 3.0 Beta with the KNFB Reader Basic:
- First, download the Test Flight app on your device.
- Then, on your device, select NFB-NEWSLINE 3.0 Beta by going to the following link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/zuoVUXFv. You’ll need your NFB-NEWSLINE login credentials.
- Share your feedback or request assistance by sending an email to email@example.com or calling 866-504-7300.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE through your phone with the touch of a few buttons
- Create your own favorites list, skip articles or sections, and repeat items you wish to re-read
- Enable the continuous reading mode which allows you to start, stop, and skip articles
- Alter the reading voice by changing the volume, speed, and pitch
For more information, please visit our NFB-NEWSLINE phone instructions page.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE hands-free on any Amazon Alexa product, including Echo and Echo Dot
- Alter the reading voice by changing the volume, speed, and the voice itself
- Use dozens of voice commands to navigate to sections and articles that interest you
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad
- Global search function allows you to find articles on specific topics
- Immediate access to breaking news stories
Download the free "NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile" app in the Apple App Store.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE on a secure, text-only website that is screen-reader friendly
- Easily navigate and search every available publication
- Email a full publication, a section, or single article to your inbox
Visit nfbnewslineonline.org to access NFB-NEWSLINE online.
- NFB-NEWSLINE can email your news, customized job listings, and information directly to your inbox
- Provide us with an email address, choose your favorites, and select frequency (once daily or updates throughout the day)
Please call us at 1-866-504-7300 to set up your NFB-NEWSLINE email service.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE through many popular digital talking book players
- Portable, plug and play, wireless download for Victor Reader Stream 2nd Generation
- Easily navigate sections and articles with the use of DAISY-standard formatting
Visit nfbnewslineonline.org to learn more.
For more information, please call us at 866-504-7300 or 410-659-9314, extension 2317, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.