The NFB BELL Academy Teacher Immersion Program is a dynamic, hands-on experience for teachers of blind students or future teachers working on their certifications.
About the Program
This program is for teachers or future teachers who:
- Believe in the capabilities of blind children
- Actively promote the age-appropriate and effective use of Braille
- Understand that exposure to independent blind role models plays an integral role in the academic and social success of blind students
- Have enthusiasm about making learning fun
This program consists of:
- Training Weekend: A weekend of training on the curriculum, philosophy, and structure of the NFB BELL Academy; this weekend will take place at the Jernigan Institute in Baltimore, Maryland, beginning on Thursday evening, January 9 and concluding on Sunday, January 12, 2020; the National Federation of the Blind will cover travel, lodging, and meals.
- Initial Immersion Experience: One to two weeks at one of the early NFB BELL Academies (May or early June, 2020), shadowing an experienced BELL Academy teacher, and gradually moving into a teaching role under the supervising teacher; the cost of the immersion experience in one of our early academies will be covered by the National Federation of the Blind.
- Lead Teacher Opportunity: Teachers agree to be the lead teacher in at least one other BELL Academy during the 2020 summer season; costs should be covered by the state in which you are a lead teacher.
- Ongoing Support: Support from an experienced NFB BELL Academy teacher who will be available for questions and assistance in preparing for the role of lead teacher for one of our state affiliates.
- Financial Compensation
Current teachers and teachers working on their certifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the 2020 program, please send your résumé and a cover letter describing why you are interested in the program to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2019. A background check will be performed prior to your acceptance into the program.