The National Federation of the Blind National Convention is the largest gathering of blind people in the world.
It is the premier event for training, support, and information for the blind community. It also serves as a governing body, democratically electing our leadership and establishing each year's organizational priorities.
Although the convention is open to all, our constitution states that only members of the NFB have the right to participate in decision making when it comes to organizational policy. If you are not already a member, join the NFB today.
Tuesday, July 14 through Saturday, July 18, 2020
Considering the ongoing impact and wide-ranging effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 National Convention will be held virtually for the first time.
Join us as we celebrate NFB’s eightieth anniversary and expand our circle of participation, connecting blind Americans from coast to coast for what we expect to be the largest gathering of blind people in history.
*The 2020 National Convention was originally scheduled to take place in Houston, Texas at the Hilton Americas-Houston.
*If you booked a hotel room in Houston, Texas for the convention, a full refund will be issued, so please do not call the hotel to cancel at this time. Both the Hilton and Marriott reservations staff are working to cancel reservations and providing full refunds to the credit card used to secure the room. Because both hotels are working reduced hours with limited staff, it may take up to two weeks for your refund to be issued. If you have not seen a credit to your account by May 8, please send an email to Susan Skaarer at firstname.lastname@example.org with your confirmation number so we can confirm the cancellation of your reservation with the hotel. For those of you who may have made a separate reservation for additional rooms/nights before or after the convention, you will need to contact the central reservations line at 800-236-2905.
How to Participate
The agenda for the 2020 National Convention features most of the elements our members know and love, with some new twists. There are multiple ways to participate in and interact with all convention events, from video conferencing to phone access. Plus, as local conditions permit, NFB affiliates will organize in-person gatherings in conjunction with sessions being held at the national level to enhance the convention experience.
*Zoom links coming soon.
All convention attendees are cordially invited to attend a welcoming Zoom meeting Tuesday, July 7 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. EDT. President Riccobono and Pam Allen will be on hand to preview convention activities and get everyone ready for the big event. Stay tuned for more details.
The agenda of the 2020 National Convention will be available in several formats.
- 2020 National Convention Agenda (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Welcome (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Tuesday (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Wednesday (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Thursday (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Friday (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Saturday (HTML)
- 2020 National Convention Agenda: Convention Notes (HTML)
*Zoom links coming soon.
The schedule for the 2020 National Convention is as follows.
- Tuesday: Seminars
- 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- Wednesday: Board Meeting and Resolutions Day
- 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- 2:00 p.m. EDT – Board Meeting
- 5:00 p.m. EDT – Resolutions Committee
- 6:00-9:00 p.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- Thursday: Division Day and Opening Ceremonies
- 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- 1:00-5:00 p.m. EDT – Division Meetings
- 5:00-6:30 p.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- 6:30-9:30 p.m. EDT – Opening Ceremonies
- Friday: Presidential Report, General Sessions, and Affiliate Caucus
- 9:00-10:45 a.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. EDT – Affiliate Caucuses
- 1:30-5:00 p.m. EDT – General Session: Presidential Report
- 6:30-9:30 p.m. EDT – General Session
- Saturday: Business Meeting, Resolutions, and Banquet
- 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. EDT – Presidential Suite
- 1:00-4:00 p.m. EDT – General Session: Financial Report, Elections, and Resolutions
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. EDT – General Session
- 7:30-9:30 p.m. EDT – Banquet
Registration is now closed. Those who registered will receive exclusive email announcements, and will be eligible to vote in our elections and win door prizes. If you did not register, you are still welcome and encouraged to participate in all convention events as listed in the agenda.
*Operating the national convention virtually still costs money. While registration is free, we welcome and encourage donations to support our ongoing work to protect the rights of all blind Americans.
Requests for specific accommodations were due to us thirty days prior to the convention. If you have not submitted your request, please do so immediately by sending an email to email@example.com. Late requests will be considered but we cannot guarantee that we can fulfill them due to time and resource constraints.
We are committed to providing captioning for every general meeting and for those meetings attended by deafblind participants. If you plan to attend a seminar and would like to ensure that captioning is provided, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of convention sessions you will be attending. You may also connect with the NFB DeafBlind Division to learn more.
Social Media and Networking
Join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to engage even more in convention events, network with fellow convention goers, and receive live updates. Use the hashtag #NFB20. And remember, our code of conduct applies to online activities as well. Here are some quick tips for staying engaged, safe, and respectful online.
- Join the convention conversation; post thoughts, photos, comments, and questions.
- Please add alt text to every post that includes an image.
- Use a strong and unique password for every social media profile.
- Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know.
- Don’t engage with trolls.
- Don’t click on uninvited or suspicious links.
- Remember the NFB will never ask for you for your private social media passwords.
- Review the NFB code of conduct; to report an incident during the convention, call 410-659-9314, extension 2475 or email email@example.com.
- 2020 National Convention Agenda
- NFB National Career Fair
- Give $20 Campaign
- Convention Memory Minute Contest
- First Timer's Guide
- Sponsorship and Exhibiting Opportunities
- National Convention (Spanish)
- Past Conventions
More details and special announcements will be available in the coming months. For more information, please contact us at 410-659-9314 or firstname.lastname@example.org.