The National Federation of the Blind is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, and social-media-savvy individual to be our social media coordinator and assist on selected projects. If you love thinking strategically, are passionate about social media, and want to work for a dynamic, nonprofit organization where you can have a positive impact on the lives of blind people, this position is for you.
This person will be responsible for social media, membership engagement, public inquiries, communications content coordination and writing, integrated content calendar creation and updates, and project oversight as necessary. This individual must be organized, a strong writer, an effective communicator, and able to work with a wide range of stakeholders. Must be well-versed in social media best practices and trends to ensure they are adopted and followed across the organization.
- Lead the organization’s social media strategy in coordination with the director of communications and marketing—including messaging goals and strategies, setting criteria for success, determining which tools should be employed, providing analysis on social media tactics and campaigns. Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure all social media reflects and communicates NFB brand.
- Create and manage national NFB social media profiles, make regular posts and respond to followers on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Instagram, YouTube, and others.
- Address questions and share information with members and newly blind individuals and their families.
- Stay on top of industry trends, news, and best practices across all platforms.
- Plan and oversee an organizational editorial calendar, solicit content from stakeholders across the organization.
- Maintain lists of logins, passwords, etc. for social media tools. Ensure secure access and manage content contributors.
- Act as a liaison for NFB affiliates, chapters, and divisions across the country.
- Share best practices.
- Guide proper establishment of accounts and management of credentials.
- Support them by offering content, sharing their content, and building connectivity across the organization.
- Provide consulting as-needed to ensure accounts are on-brand, well-managed, and secure.
- Coordinate communications-related projects as assigned.
- Ensure certain broader communications initiatives stay on track, including creating project lists, managing timelines, following up with content creators, and organizational stakeholders.
- Support content creation for broader communications initiatives such as emails, blogs, podcasts, etc.
- Implement the strategic priorities of the organization.
- Coordinate general information and referral inquiries coming in through via social media, email, and calls.
- Maintains member and prospective member/supporter relationship by responding to inquiries; documenting actions.
- Responds to general inquiries by understanding inquiry; reviewing previous inquiries and responses; gathering and researching information; assembling and forwarding information and following up as needed.
- Improves quality of service by recommending improved processes.
- Social media expertise—knowledge about what types of content work best on what platform, how to engage each audience, content optimization, how to increase followers, etc.
- Familiarity with social media management tools—familiarity with various publishing tools, understanding of how to read and interpret results and adjust strategies accordingly to achieve the best results. Knowledge of Buffer is a plus.
- Copywriting skills—ability to convey on-brand messaging clearly and concisely in various formats.
- Understanding of accessibility principles especially for nonvisual access.
- Understanding of SEO principles and implementation—understanding of the relationship between content creation and ability for the target audience to find and engage with the organization online.
- Understanding of the graphic nature of social media—ability to work with the communications group to add appropriate graphics to posts and evaluate videos for use in social media
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Understanding of the National Federation of the Blind preferred.
How to Apply
We do not speak in terms of “positions” for many of our jobs at the NFB National Office, preferring to focus on the applicant’s total skill set in determining a fit with our needs. Candidates for jobs at this level are hired on the basis of their education and experience ratings and careful assessment of performance in multiple interviews. We seek individuals who long to identify with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or fail on the basis of ability and not be denied opportunity on the basis of society’s stereotypes.
This job is open until filled. Applicants should send, preferably via email, a résumé and cover letter indicating salary requirements to: Human Resources, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230; telephone 410-659-9314, ext. 2488; fax 410-685-5653; email HR@nfb.org.